- How are home visits used in physician practices and accountable care organizations (ACOs)?
- Who conducts these visits?
- What are some challenges associated with home visits?
This resource used national survey data from physician practices and ACOs, paired with qualitative interviews, to learn about home visiting programs.
- ACO practices were more likely to report using care transitions home visits than non-ACO practices were.
- Interviewed ACOs reported using home visits as part of care management and care transitions programs as well as to evaluate patients’ home environments and identify needs.
- ACOs most often used nonphysician staff to conduct home visits.
- Home visit implementation for some types of patients can be challenging because of barriers related to reimbursement, staffing, and resources.