- Why is it important to integrate physical and behavioral health services in care for Medicaid beneficiaries?
This resource describes the costs of Medicaid beneficiaries’ physical and behavioral health needs.
- Medicaid pays for 26 percent of all behavioral health spending nationally.
- About 20 percent of beneficiaries have a behavioral health diagnosis, such as a mental health or substance use disorder.
- Beneficiaries with behavioral health diagnoses account for 48 percent of total Medicaid spending.
- Spending can increase up to 75 percent when beneficiaries with a chronic physical condition also have a mental illness.