This resource provides a roadmap for health plans providing complex chronic care to improve quality and their Medical Loss Ratio (MLR), a basic financial measurement used in the Affordable Care Act to incentivize health plans to provide value to enrollees.
- Challenges of providing complex chronic care include working in office-based settings, lack of care coordination across specialists and facilities, and misaligned financial incentives.
- An effective model requires a patient-centered model of care, specialized expertise, advanced technology and analytics, and aligned risk-based payment.
- The resource includes case studies of approaches tried by seven different organizations, including a deep dive into home-based primary care provider Landmark Health.
- What are the key challenges of providing complex chronic care?
- What are the ingredients of effective models?
- What are some examples of organizations currently using these approaches?