- What kinds of initiatives are emerging to incorporate social services into health care?
- What common challenges have surfaced, and what are some ways to address them?
Throughout the country, efforts are increasingly emerging to integrate social services into health care systems. This resource classifies new initiatives, identifies common challenges, and proposes solutions to address those challenges.
- The authors evaluated 64 cross-sector community partnerships along four dimensions: coordination, financial alignment, data- and information-sharing, and metric reporting.
- Common challenges included inadequate strategies to sustain cost savings; lack of mechanisms to share savings between health care and social services providers; and lack of expertise to integrate multiple data sources.
- Solutions include 1) payment reform around transitional care activities and 2) establishing a common data dictionary and data set requirements across hospitals, health systems, and community-based organizations.